Wednesday, November 4, 2009

This Too Shall Pass

Mommying has to be the most painfully delicious thing ever done. A little boy looking for a cuddle only stays a short while. Soon he's moved on, because children's movement forward is inexorable. This is so hard to understand when a little one is so very little...but really, little is on the way to big. And big is on the way to college, marriage, life on his own...

When I got up at 6 a.m. today, I came downstairs and sat next to my big one on the couch. I remembered once upon a time, when early morning was prime time for snuggles, and it hit me that our cuddle days are completely over. They're gone. Never coming back. So I listened to him talk about his biology test, and ate Lucky Charms with him. And when he asked me to retrieve his school ID from the bathroom upstairs, I said, "Sure, hon." Because I so miss my little cuddler, but love now has be more unobtrusive, so as not to block the path forward. And I am so proud.