Thursday, January 7, 2010

A New Year

I love the new year!

At the year's end, I feel a gentle--make that fierce--pull toward reflection. After the end of another semester, another holiday season, another trip around the sun, my mind turns toward an honest evaluation of my life, goals, values, and how they all match up. Maybe it's the connection I feel with thousands of others looking ahead, but this time seems to lend a special power to change.

Looking toward the future comes naturally to me, and I relish the opportunity to crystallize my goals.

As part of this process, I spent a lot of time this holiday season thinking about the meaning of all our celebrations. As I came to a realization of what Christmas means to me, I felt the pressure, mostly self-imposed anyway, ebb away. This year, I was not worried about holiday shopping. I waited until after my last final on December 18th to start, and then as I shopped for the many people on my list, I immersed myself in thoughts of each person, allowing my heart to guide my choices. This was especially important any time I felt the pressure mounting. As I practiced this mindful approach to gifting, it occurred to me that I did not have to find the perfect gift. The important thing was the time I was spending thinking about those I love, appreciating them in all their uniqueness. Is this what is meant by "it's the thought that counts"? Perhaps.